Pages

Monday, May 15, 2017

Books I Bought & Book Censor Thoughts

Hope everyone who celebrated Mother's Day for themselves or another had a good day! I had chocolate cheesecake, yum!, and read for a couple of hours in a peacefully quiet home. Also watched the Nicholas Sparks movie The Choice with my younger daughter who chose the film, so I went along with it. It was filmed in the area where we're moving to this summer. Much angst... but I enjoy these rare bonding times with her. Board game postponed until tomorrow since son is engrossed in new PS4 game playing with his sister and b-i-l who are cross-country, and talking to them with headphones... I marvel at how far technology has come since I was his age. I also shopped for my new e-books with my gift card and had a blast doing it. I tried to pick books I might not get so easily at the library.

I downloaded 4, adding a few bucks to my gift card, because I couldn't limit myself to 3:

Slightly South of Simple by Kristy Woodson Harvey- (Peachtree Bluff #1)

All the Best People by Sonja Yoerg

The Red Hunter by Lisa Unger

Marked in Flesh (The Others #4) by Anne Bishop

*****
Book censorship thoughts:


I've started up Goodreads again recently with a new account so I can keep it simple-- I only keep it to list the books I click that I want to read and am not adding in books I've read in the past. Well anyway, I started reading a few unknown-to-me bloggers' reviews on a certain book which I had marked as to-read after reading a glowing review on a fave blogger's site, but it wasn't really on my radar. Apparently this book is embroiled in the latest "bad authors/bad bloggers" debate. I. am. so. tired. of. this! The point of GR is to share bookish thoughts, your own, not to try to censor readers or influence an author's freedom of speech either. It seems bloggers don't like the message of the fiction book, so they're leaving 1-star reviews and blasting the author. Most haven't even read the book since it was a request for review book! I consider myself a liberal-thinking person but I don't understand how bloggers can slam a book for having themes they find non-politically-correct and just plain awful, if they even interpret it correctly.

I don't know enough of this author to know if she is projecting this message a) because of her beliefs or b) she is actually making a statement against prejudice and the violation of basic rights. To me, it doesn't matter. It's fiction, it's made up, it's her imagination. She isn't writing non-fiction and changing history. Even if it's the worst book you can imagine, she has the right to write any kind of fiction story she desires, and you have the right to not read it or read anything about it. But as a blogger, you have a responsibility to not harass an author for writing a book you don't agree with, and certainly not to "review" a book you haven't read yet.

This is my opinion, and if I get slammed for it, so be it. Another author recently got death threats and verbal attacks against her new book before it even got released because she made unpopular political statements on her twitter account about the government, and now supremacist groups are targeting her for her religion, as if that influenced her YA summer romance story.

Do you have an opinion on this? I'm not getting involved, nor going to read anymore about it, but I did get sucked into reading some of this for awhile yesterday before I cleared my head and closed the laptop. I won't be leaving reviews on GR anymore. My book friends here can read my thoughts and I am fed up with the nastiness there. I wish Shelfari, which I used to use, was still thriving. I tried LibraryThing, but you had to pay if you wanted to store lists of any certain length, and it seemed kind of complicated, so I backed out. I don't know. Maybe back to notebook and pen to keep track..... What is going on with the blogosphere?!
*****
I have all these new shiny titles, and I'm reading and enjoying one, but I found a used paperback I have from a beloved cozy series and started reading that last night when I couldn't fall asleep.

Cheers for a multitude of genres to choose from for our multitude of moods!
Have a wonderful day reading your books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!