Pages

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Review: I Need a Lifeguard Everywhere But the Pool

I'm still on blogger hiatus while I move, but I'm posting reviews for my NetGalley books that release during the summer. I'm not responding to comments, but feel free to leave your opinion if you want, and myself and others will read it. 
*****

I Need a Lifeguard Everywhere But the Pool (The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman) by Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella
Kindle Edition, 336 pages
Expected publication: July 11th 2017 by St. Martin's Press
received from the publisher through NetGalley for a fair and honest review


excerpt from blurb:
The bestselling and “perennially hilarious” mother-daughter team is back with a new collection of stories from their real lives, guaranteed to make you laugh out loud. 
They offer a fresh and funny take on the triumphs and facepalm moments of modern life, showing that when it comes to navigating the crazy world we live in, you’re always your own best lifeguard."

genre:
humor, nonfiction essays 

part of a series?
They're not, but this mother-daughter duo has been releasing a humorous essay-filled book every summer for years. I've read several of them over the years, mostly thanks to the publisher.

why you should read it: 
If you've read any of Ms. Scottoline's stand-alone suspense books (I've read most of these!) or her continuing female attorney series (I've read a few), then you know that she is quite the talented writer. Maybe you didn't know that she is a hoot! These books never fail to make me-- at the least-- smile & chuckle, maybe even laugh a bit. The authors' take on  "women's" topics in this book, from style to social expectations to their own personal quirkiness, make it a great choice for summer! Her 30-ish daughter, Francesca, is herself an accomplished writer and she alternates chapters with her mother to give a younger woman's perspective on life in general and being a female, in 2017, in particular.

I've read: Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog, Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat? and I've Got Sand in All the Wrong Places, to name a few of her lightweight, funny, throw-in-the beach-bag  books and recommend them all. The chapters are ultra-short, the writing is that sharp-as-a-razor, deadpan humor I love and expect from Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella.

You can just crack open the books to any page and go-- no reading in order needed! Perfect for those summer days when you might not be able to concentrate on a novel while by the shore, the pool, the back yard, the BBQ... hope you get to read any of these humorous releases!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!