Pages

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Review: A Merciful Truth

A Merciful Truth by Kendra Elliot (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)

(I only write formal reviews for books received for review consideration)

disclosure: received from the publisher through NetGalley for an unbiased & honest review
Kindle edition: 322 pages
publisher: Montlake
genre: romantic suspense
cover love: very nice- catches my eye, represents the plot
rating: 4/5, very good!
expected publication- U.S: June 6, 2017
part of a series?- yes, #2... but I didn't realize when requested, and I've yet to read book #1
would I continue?- yes, now I do want to read book 1 to learn of the previous issues raised by the MCs during this story
would I recommend?- yes, to other lovers of romantic suspense 
maturity level- if it was a film: would be rated PG-13, no explicit sensual scenes or graphic violence


book blurb:
"Raised by a family of survivalists, FBI agent Mercy Kilpatrick can take on any challenge—even the hostile reception to her homecoming. But she’s not the only one causing chaos in the rural community of Eagle’s Nest, Oregon. At first believed to be teenage pranks, a series of fires takes a deadly turn with the murder of two sheriff’s deputies. Now, along with Police Chief Truman Daly, Mercy is on the hunt for an arsonist turned killer.

Still shunned by her family and members of the community, Mercy must keep her ear close to the ground to pick up any leads. And it’s not long before she hears rumors of the area’s growing anti-government militia movement. If the arsonist is among their ranks, Mercy is determined to smoke the culprit out. But when her investigation uncovers a shocking secret, will this hunt for a madman turn into her own trial by fire?"


My thoughts: 
note: I'm once again requesting a few NG titles to supplement my library borrowing and less buying of books, since we are cutting back on luxuries in preparation for our move this summer. 
*****
I really enjoyed this book! I'd read one Kendra Elliot title a while back... and while I enjoyed it, I don't remember loving it. I was expressly searching for a romantic suspense and saw this title on NetGalley and recognized the author, so I requested it. I was pleasantly surprised, even after I realized my mistake; I hadn't read book #1 in this series yet. There wasn't a problem with this being read as a stand-alone, but I would've better understood the relationships between the main characters and the supporting characters--of which there were many-- if I had. The actual crime-solving mystery was unaffected by skipping the first book because it didn't rehash the same problems from book one. 

The main character, Mercy Kilpatrick, is an FBI agent in her early 30s who has transferred back to the same small town, Eagle's Nest in eastern Oregon, where she grew up. She comes from a family of  "preppers", those who believe that they must plan for a catastrophe-- whether an act of God or man-made, and stockpile supplies and learn how to be self-sufficient. Mercy has been estranged from her family for years, but still believes in the prepper movement, and even has her own rural cabin hidden in the woods, full of supplies, though she lives in town.

Her love interest is Truman Daly, the local police chief, and they get involved working on a case together about a rash of arson attacks, which then turn deadly when bodies are found at a scene. While Mercy investigates, she gets the feeling that the person or group of people responsible might belong to a home-grown militia: a radical group that believes in autonomy and not in the laws of the government. Suddenly Mercy is concerned that the criminal/s could be involved in both the prepper movement and the militia, and she no longer feels welcome or safe with the people she grew up around.

Good story-- worth a read for many of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!