Pages

Friday, June 23, 2017

Review: UNSUB

{While I'm away from formal blogging during my move this summer, I'll still be honoring my NetGalley requests by putting up reviews here as needed. Some have already been pre-scheduled}.
**********
UNSUB (UNSUB #1) by Meg Gardiner
received from the publisher through NetGalley for a fair and honest review

Kindle Edition, 384 pages
Expected publication: June 27th 2017 by Dutton

4.5/5 rating
This is quite an intense, edge-of-your-seat read from an enjoyable author who keeps delivering winners year after year (I've read half a dozen books by this author & loved them all-- Phantom Instinct is one of my favorite suspense novels, ever). The story obviously pays tribute to the mind-breaking work done by detectives of various agencies during the Zodiac Killer spree, but puts its own original twist on it.

Caitlin grew up in the shadow of The Prophet's murder spree when she was just a child and her father was a dedicated detective obsessed with solving the crime. After his partner is murdered by The Prophet, he is institutionalized for a breakdown and can no longer perform at his job. Caitlin picks up the reins of the long dormant case when the disturbed killer returns after many years of silence and gathers her up into his twisted schemes.

Ms. Gardiner is a master of the dark suspense thriller, and she pulls no punches here! My only reason for marking this down to 4.5/5 is based solely on my personal enjoyment, and I found the storyline just a tad too sadistic for my taste. It's dark and gritty, and full of twists and turns, but wow--- what a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!